Thursday, December 3, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
petrol--- gas (even if its not gas)
petrol bunk---- gas station
zero-- '0' as in ohhhhh
injection---shot... as in flu shot.
parcel---- they say it.... to go....
we call it
zebra crossing-- they call it cross walk
footpath or pavement----- they call it side walk.
football---- they call it soccer...
rugby--- they call it football..
squash-- they call it racket ball
table tennis-- they call it ping-pong..
In india if we say lift to ask some one to drop u somewhere...-- in america... they say it.,.. i want a ride...
we say bill please...-- they say check !!!!
we usually put arms around our friends ( am talking about same sex frnds) it is quite common in india... but if we do the same thing in america they call it GAY..... ha ha ha
I'm back after a long time, to write something on my blog... Last weekend, I was out for chicago trip and it was awesome.. The snap which you are seeing is taken on "Willis Tower" .. 8th tallest building in the world.. It is located on the 103rd floor of the tower. It is 1,353 feet (412 m) above ground and is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Chicago. Tourists can experience how the building sways on a windy day. They can see far over the plains of Illinois and across Lake Michigan to Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin on a clear day. It takes about 60 seconds to soar to the top.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
- With whom you can be sincere.
- To whom you never need to defend yourself.
- On whom you can depend whether present or absent.
- Who does not feel he owns you because you are his friend.
The Second creator is what WE make of ourselves. Each Individual builds his own monument, or digs his own grave.
Men can alter their lives, By altering their attitudes...
Friday, June 5, 2009
I thought to write something interesting this time, which we as an engineer come across once in our life..i.e. Onsite engineer , thousand of miles away from your home ... All alone in completely new world..
Before starting to share something about onsite life, let me tell you in short about the journey reaching to this destination. I was above average or in other words clever/sincere student from beginning of my school days. Uptil now, two of the real achievement achieved in my life are "Ranking 1st in Std.10 in my school and also achieving 5th Position in centre. And second which I consider as life time achievement is "Ranking 1st in Gujarat state for Diploma in Electronics & Communication Engineering" :) I was always dreaming to get into good college during my diploma studies and ranking 1st gave me that opportunity to be a student of well-known college of Gujarat "L.D.College of Engineering, Ahmedabad".
After joining college the next obvious target was to get a good job. To be frank enough, I was much bothered about getting a job through out my college life. Luckily, I cleared my first job interview and got selected in Semiconductor company based in ahmedabad. Wow, it was great feeling to get selected and clearing life's first interview. After joining company, it was completely a different world if you compare with the college life. In office, I got in touch with many chipmates and within no time we formed our "Gijutsu" group consisting of 16 members. We used to have fun @ work as well use to go for outing. After a year rolled by, the target was to go onsite sooner. It was not because to earn only money but to get experience working at Client's end , to get more exposure about work and to experience the American way of life. I got this opportunity after two years of my field experience. Man getting the stamping was like waiting for the doors of heaven open on the Judgement day :) That fine day Dec'04, 2008 at last came and I am here in USA (now thinking what my next target is ???)
Life at Onsite : Here, comes the call.... tring.........tring
Offshore guys : Hello, umesh ..Good morning.....
Me: good morning...!!! with a smile on my face ;)
This routine was almost same during week-days ..
Wake up in the morning and think whether I should work from home or go to office.. but 1st option was not an easy one ;) so would decide that I will go to office. Now the first problem that is encountered for the day is which dress to wear.. Aisi baat nahi hain that i'm choosy about the dress I wear, it is that all the clothes will be too wrinkled not properly pressed or will not be washed during weekends. Have to select less wrinkled dress and go to office ..Isn't it funny ?? The next problem is breakfast.... :(( Before getting to work-place, I would have to get something for breakfast and join a meeting for which I will be running late. Would be having cookies, some fruits or juice.. some thing would always be the same thing. After doing regular activities like checking & responding mails, having desk meetings with client it would be lunch time. If luckily have made something for lunch then its fine, if not then discussion would start internally when and where to go for lunch. This discussion in mind would not last more as the options would be very few atleast for we Indians and that too if you are pure-vegetarian :-/
The options would be to have Subway sandwich, taco-bell or some combo item in Indian restaurant. I cannot mention the taste of the food which would no where be in comparison with the food we eat in India.. Really, missing Indian food..:(
After lunch, come back to work-place and start working on dependencies that your off-shore team has upon you.. and to forward couple of mails to offshore before end of day and leave back home.. After leaving office on my way to home, arises tons of questions what to do , what to make for dinner , bartan ghasna baki he... and list goes onnnnnn..........Ah, it is dinner time and I would have to cook for night as well as for next morning ... such a painful task.. but after a month or so I started enjoying to make different recipes.. Jaldi jaldi dinner complete karna padta hain ...kyuki India mein toh subah ho chuki hain..... and here, comes the call... tring ...tring.....
Hello Umesh..... good evening/night....
my response a big smile :D saying ..good morning everyone...
Telecon last for few minutes/hour and almost replying some dependencies mail time ho jata hain 12-1pm... Always Eagerly, waiting for friday evening coz next 2 days is weekend so no office ... no phone calls... no late night calls....so ekdum badi smile aa jati hain tinggg.... :D
During weekends need to wrap up cleaning home, bringing groceries, watching movies, and specially making calls to near & dear ones.... ;) aur agar time mile toh shayad koi park ya fir malls mein ghumne..
So, this cycle continues for weeks, months, ab tak year nahi hua hain.... But, from my experience I would say have learned lot many things in life being onsite which is going to help me in my future.
Now questions comes, why am I still here ? Hmmm....everybody is here for couple of months/years .. I am an above average guy who goes with the wind... so I better be here for atleast a year... 24 weeks gone... may be 24 more to go ;)
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Sunday, May 17, 2009
2. What is the expansion of YAHOO?
3. What is the expansion of ADIDAS?
4. Expansion of Star as in Star TV Network?
5. What is expansion of "ICICI?"
6. What does "baker's dozen" signify?
7. The 1984-85 season. 2nd ODI between India and Pakistan at Sialkot - India
210/3 with Vengsarkar 94*. Match abandoned. Why?
8. Who is the only man to have written the National Anthems for two
9. From what four word expression does the word `goodbye` derive?
10. How was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu better known?
11. Name the only other country to have got independence on Aug 15th?
12. Why was James Bond Associated with the Number 007?
13. Who faced the first ball in the first ever One day match?
14. Which cricketer played for South Africa before it was banned from
international cricket and later represented Zimbabwe ?
15. The faces of which four Presidents are carved at Mt.Rushmore?
16. Which is the only country that is surrounded from all sides by only one
country (other than Vatican )?
17. Which is the only sport which is not allowed to play left handed? *
HERE ARE THE ANSWERS:
1. ** **Google is written in Asynchronous java-script and XML, or its
acronym Ajax .
2. Yet Another Hierarchy of Officious Oracle
3. ADIDAS- All Day I Dream About Sports
4. Satellite Television Asian Region
5. Industrial credit and Investments Corporation of India
6. A baker's dozen consists of 13 items - 1 more than the items in a normal
7. That match was abandoned after people heard the news of Indira Gandhi
8. Rabindranath Tagore who wrote national anthem for two different countries
one is our 's National anthem and another one is for Bangladesh- (Amar
9. Goodbye comes from the ex-pression: 'god be with you'.
10. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu is none other Mother Teresa.
11. South Korea .
12. Because 007 is the ISD code for Russia (or the USSR , as it was known
during the cold war)
13. Geoffrey Boycott
14. John Traicos
15. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham
16. Lesotho surrounded from all sides by South Africa .
17. Polo *
Thanks Subu for sharing ...!!!!!
Friday, May 15, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
SUCCESS IS A RESULT OF
& NOT REMAINING IN
Presenting a beautiful story on TEAM SPIRIT.
There was a farmer who grew superior quality and award-winning corn. Each year he entered his corn in the state fair where it won honour and prizes.
One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learnt something interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbours'.
"How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbours when they are entering corn in competition with yours each year?" the reporter asked.
"Why sir, "said the farmer, "didn't you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbours grow inferior, sub-standard and poor quality corn, cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my corn.
If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbours grow good corn."
The farmer gave a superb insight into the connectedness of life. His corn cannot improve unless his neighbour's corn also improves. So it is in the other dimensions! Those who choose to be at harmony must help their neighbours and colleagues to be at peace. Those who choose to live well must help others to live well. The value of a life is measured by the lives it touches.
SUCCESS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN ISOLATION. IT IS VERY OFTEN A PARTICIPATIVE AND COLLECTIVE PROCESS.
So share the good practices, ideas, new learning's with your family, team members, neighbours. All the Successes is a Team Work of a family, group, enterprise, corporation... Infect TEAM as an acronym of letters T, E , A, M
Saturday, May 9, 2009
As you all know, we techies most probably stay away from our home ... Isliye khane ka thoda bahut problem hota hain ..but i have been enjoying this new journey of cooking food... I will try my best to update some recipe on my blog with intense that it will sure help guys to cook of their own and enjoy..!! Believe me you feel very good tasting ur own food, it gives u internal happiness...
Today, I made a common cuisine which is made in indian house almost everyday..And that is "Toor Dal"
- Toor dal (1/4th cup)
- Oil (2-3 tbsp)
- Red chilies
- Turmeric powder (1/4th tbsp)
- Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- Onion (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves (limdo)
- Asfaeotida (hing)
- Butter (opt.)
- Green chilies
- Mustard seeds (rai)
- Cumin seeds (jeera)
- coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Salt (to taste)
- Red chilli
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Pressure cook toor dal with sufficient water. Give atleast 3 whistles. Toor dal should mash when pressed.
- Add oil and mustard seeds in pan and let it split. Also, add cumin seeds in it.
- Add garlic to make toor dal bit tasty. Make sure to cook only for few seconds and shows brown color at edge.
- Add turmeric powder and mix it well. Add onions, curry leaves and green chillies. Cook for a minute.
- Add little salt in it, you can add salt as per your taste. Also, add chopped tomatoes. If it is getting dryer, then add little water.
- You can add little butter it really smells tasty...Now add toor dal in pan and mix it well and let it heat for few minutes.
- When Dal is made, it is followed by process "Tadka" by mixing various spices in small amount of oil.
- Heat little oil in another pan and add mustard seeds + hing + curry leaves and then pour this tadka on top of dal.
- Add coriander leaves for garnishing and dal is ready....!!!
Note: Ingredients and method may vary .. But my main objective is here to provide some details so other can benefit and enjoy cooking.
I'm sharing with you few points that I have noted after reading "The Secret" Book. If we all start following this secret, i believe our life will be full of joy and happiness.
- "Like attracts Like". Our job as humans is to hold on thoughts of what we want. Make it absolutely clear in our mind what we want, and from that we can start to invoke one of the greatest laws in the universe, and that's the law of attraction.
- Most powerful law : Thoughts become things. So, always attract the Good instead of the Bad.
- Decide right now that you are going to think only good thoughts. At the same time, proclaim to the Universe that all your good thoughts are powerful, and any negative thoughts are weak.
- One way to master your mind is to learn to quiet your mind. Just 3-10 minutes, a days meditation to begin with, can be incredibly powerful for gaining control over your thoughts.
- Your thoughts and your feelings create your life. It will be always that way.
- When you're feeling down, did you know that you can change it in an instant ? Pull on a beautiful piece of music, or start singing - that will change your emotion. Have a secret shifter list that will change your emotion when you're feeling bad for eg : beautiful memories, favorite music, nature, a person you love the most....
- There is truth deep inside you : "You deserve all good things life has to offer".
- You can start with nothing, and out of nothing and out of no way, a way will be made.
- All that we are is a result of what we have thought.
- Decide what you want. Believe you can have it. Believe you deserve it and believe it's possible for you. And then close your eyes everyday for several minutes, and visualize having what you already want, feeling the feelings of already having it. Come out of that and focus on what you're grateful for already, and really enjoy it.
- Treat yourself with love and respect, and you will attract people who show you love and respect.
- Think thoughts of perfection.
- "Man becomes what he thinks about.." Said by Morris Goodman (The miracle man)
- All power is from within and therefore under our control.
- You are the designer of your destiny. You are the author. You write the story. The pen is in your hand, and the outcome is whatever you choose.
- The more you use the power within you, the more power you will draw through you.....
Thursday, May 7, 2009
I have learnt certain things in my life ...
- My life is with me and not with ANYONE else....
- I have to face my life...
- I should have self-control...
- I should not loose my self-esteem at any cost...
- I am not inferior to anyone...
and most important.......
I SHOULD BE MYSELF......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it when you always be by the side of the person or is it when you keep talking to that person or sitting near that person and holding that persons hand. No, I don't think so you realize it very much. You come to know how much you love/miss a person and how much that person loves you, only when, even if you are physically thousand of miles apart, you stay close to each other by heart. Thats what is true love. You really really miss that person, you feel as though you are all alone, lost completely out of the world.
You keeping thinking of that person each and every second, whatever you do, wherever you go. You keep talking to that person monotonously, not over the phone or internet, but through your inner heart; the heart which shares love and affection. You keep murmuring that persons name within yourself throughout the day/night. You keep waiting to call that person and talk for even a few seconds and those few seconds feel like long hours talk. You keep expecting a mail from that person, first thing early in the morning and even a single "Hi" from that person makes your day at work happy and fresh. You keep watching time and waiting for that person to come online however late it is for you in the night, and chat for a few minutes happily. Always you keep praying Almighty God for that person's well-being and ensure that person is safe, happy.
You keep staring at the latest photo that person sent you for a longgg time, without even realizing that its late for you to goto bed. You keep saying to people near you that you want to go back as soon as possible. You desperately want to see and hug that person and spent much time with him/her. You tend to shed a few tears when you are alone and keep thinking of that person. You keep looking for things to get for that person when you go back home. In fact the toughest of all is, though you got all facilities like reaching through mail, phone or meeting in person is possible, you tend to avoid just thinking he/she would be busy. That would accumulate a lot of pain in the heart.. In spite of having work, you tend to spare time to compose a nice mail to that person, expecting that person to enjoy reading the contents and give a cute and sweet smile .hhmmm.....
Now you realize how much you are crazy and how much you truly madly and deeply love that person....!!!